Ah, spring! The flowers are blooming, the birds are singing, and pollen is turning all the cars yellow. Pollen, however, isn’t the only thing to be concerned about this spring. The winter can be cruel to your gutters and the roof. One of the first home maintenance tasks to schedule this spring is a gutter cleaning to protect your home against damage. Here are a few things that a gutter cleaning can help with:
Assessing the health of your home
Winter can create a few problems for your gutters!
- Winds and storms can land limbs and debris into your gutter system.
- Even a small bit of debris can clog your gutters and, when clogs occur, they add tension to your gutter system.
- Excess weight can cause damage to your gutter hardware and the roof. If winter caused an ice dam on your roof, there could be further damage that needs repairing.
Preparing for Spring Rains
Having your gutters cleaned now will ensure that you don’t have to deal with the fallout from clogged drains when rains come.
- When water isn’t properly diverted away from your home through a healthy gutter and drain system, you run the risk of having water backed up around your home’s foundation.
- This is especially problematic, as it could lead to degrading and damaging your home’s foundation, which could end up costing you thousands.
- You could also see your basement flooded or your landscaping compromised in some cases.
- Another problem of standing water is that it creates a breeding ground for unwanted pests like mosquitoes.
Get ready for patio season and outdoor parties
Why go through the trouble of working to get your backyard manicured for the perfect spring party if clogged gutters will cause runoff that damages your landscaping?
- By preventing any standing water or unsightly debris, you’ll be able to enjoy the outside of your home during the fair weather seasons this year.
Avoid any unwanted guests
Gutters weren’t meant to be homes.
- By keeping your gutters clear, you can prevent any stowaways from taking up residence on your roof. Birds and squirrels, in particular, see clogged gutters as an opportunity. Make sure that you don’t have any pesky critters trying to crash your next patio party!
Just because you lost an hour to daylight savings time doesn’t mean you have to lose any time when it comes to home maintenance. Let the gutter-cleaning professionals at Ned Stevens make sure your gutters are in great shape this spring!