As a homeowner, you may be considering taking on the task of power washing your home yourself. After all, it seems like it would be a pretty straightforward process—just hook up the machine and start spraying, right?
Not so fast.
Although power washing can offer fantastic results when done correctly, it can also cause some serious damage to your home when done improperly. That’s why, before you decide to go the DIY route, it’s important to understand the pros and cons of power washing your home yourself.
Can You DIY Power Washing?
You may be looking to save a few bucks by handling home maintenance projects yourself, and you may be quick to turn to power washing to achieve this goal. After all, renting or buying a machine is significantly cheaper than hiring a professional team to do the job for you.
However, power washing is not a project that you should take lightly. The high-powered water pressure of a power washer can cause severe damage to your home and your belongings if not used correctly. In fact, using a power washer incorrectly is one of the top ways in which homeowners damage their homes, leading to costly repairs and—in some cases—even structural damage.
Although opting for a DIY power wash may seem like the more cost-effective choice upfront, it could cost you a lot more money in the long run if something goes wrong.
The Pros and Cons of DIY Power Washing
Now that we’ve covered some of the risks associated with power washing your home yourself, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons to help you decide whether or not it’s the right choice for you.
1. DIY power washing offers you complete control over the process, from start to finish.
With a do-it-yourself job, you can determine when and how to power wash your home without having to work around someone else’s schedule. If you prefer complete control over every aspect of your home’s upkeep, DIY power washing may be the right choice for you.
2. Power washing is great for some home maintenance tasks.
The strong stream of water can damage portions of your home and surrounding property, but it’s a great way to restore the look of more sturdy parts of your landscape. Brighten up the look of dingy patios or concrete steps, planters, and driveways with a power washer machine, and spend a beautiful afternoon maintaining your home.
3. DIY doesn’t equal perfection, but you can achieve pretty good results if you take the time to do it right.
Power washing your home yourself doesn’t guarantee perfect results; however, if you’re willing to put in the effort, you can achieve the look you’re going for. Just be sure to read the operating instructions carefully and take your time as you learn the ropes to avoid unintentional damage.
1. Power washing your home is a risky proposition.
After all, one small mistake can result in serious damage and even injury. Power washers shoot out water at incredibly high speeds of up to 4,000 PSI! This can easily cause serious injury if not handled properly. Although high-pressure levels are necessary to remove tough stains, they also make power washers difficult to use without knowing what you’re doing.
2. Power washing your home yourself can lead to unexpected problems.
Because power washers use such high water pressure, it’s easy to accidentally damage your home’s siding, windows, or trim if you’re not careful. In addition, using the wrong nozzle can result in water being forced under your home’s siding, strip paint or sealant, or damage the mortar between bricks or stone which can result in expensive repairs and a waterlogged structure.
3. Power washers can be an expensive investment to purchase or rent.
If you’re not planning on using your power washer regularly, it may not be worth the investment, both in terms of cost and storage space. Plus, you may need to purchase additional pressure washing accessories, like detergent, to achieve lasting results. Consider hiring a professional who can offer cost savings on the purchase of expensive additions to the process.
4. DIY power washing can be a time-consuming and difficult process.
Power washing your home correctly requires a proper technique and understanding of the process. If you’re not prepared to invest the necessary time and effort, it’s best to leave it to professionals who have the experience, training, and resources to get the job done right the first time.
Is a power washer for home a good investment for DIY lovers?
So, what’s the verdict? The answer, unfortunately, is a bit complicated. Although there are some advantages to power washing your home yourself, the risks generally outweigh the benefits. If you’re not experienced using a power washer, it’s best to leave the job to the professionals.
Hiring a Professional Power Washing Team
Hiring a professional power washing team is always the best option if you’re looking for the best possible results. Not only will you avoid the risks associated with DIY power washing, but you’ll also enjoy a number of other benefits, including:
- A Perfect Clean: Professional power washers have the experience and expertise necessary to clean your home perfectly without damaging your property. Additionally, they have the right equipment to handle even the toughest cleaning jobs – whether it’s for your wooden deck, patio, roof, siding, etc.
- Saves Time: Power washing your home yourself can be a time-consuming process. When you hire a professional team, they’ll be able to complete the job quickly and efficiently so that you can return to your regular routine.
- Peace of Mind: Hiring a professional power washing team offers you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your home is in good hands. You can rest assured that professionals will do the job right and that they will protect your property from any damage.
Power Wash with the Experts From Ned Stevens
If you’re considering power washing your home, the best thing you can do is hire a professional team to handle the job. Not only will you avoid the risks associated with DIY power washing, but you’ll also enjoy a spotless home and peace of mind.
If you are ready to take the next step and hire a professional power washing team for your home, contact Ned Stevens today. We would be happy to provide you with a free estimate and answer any questions you may have about our services. Our experience and expertise will help you achieve the perfect clean for your home. Contact us today to get started!